With over 50 years of troubleshooting expertise and thousands of successful investigations, TWI has a long and distinguished history in determining the mechanisms and root causes of some of industries most costly and dramatic failures.
TWI can help remediate the impact of a failure by:
- Interpretation of the failure location and service data, including on-site review
- Examining the parts and determining the failure mechanism(s)
- Root cause analysis, including design, fabrication, transportation, installation and service
- Simulation of the service conditions to establish critical parameters at which failure will occur
- Definition of safe conditions for remaining intact components
- Establishing a non-destructive evaluation strategy for remaining components
- Remedial advice for avoidance of further failures, including design and fabrication review for replacement components and mitigation strategies for existing components.
- Expert, multidisciplinary interpretation of data
- Failure mode characterisation by light optical and scanning electron microscopy
- Microstructure and defect characterisation, with a particular strength in weld microstructures
- Stress analysis and numerical modelling, including welding residual stress
- Engineering critical assessment
- Expert knowledge of microstructure-property relationships, including the influences of welding and manufacturing processes
- Development of non-standard test methods to produce new microstructure-property relationships where existing data are inadequate to ensure future fitness-for-purpose
- Contribution to root cause investigations
- Expert witness services in a wide range of disciplines, including welding engineering, metallurgy, corrosion, fracture mechanics, fatigue, asset integrity management and non-destructive examination
Contact us to find out more about our failure investigation and root cause analysis services.